After a stellar career at the University of South Carolina-Upstate, Shellie Robinson was drafted by the Akron Racers with the 23rd pick in the National Professional Fastpitch draft. Robinson played with the Racers for three seasons and is now in her first year with the Cleveland Comets.
Robinson, a native of Deland, Fla., holds many career records at USC-Upstate including highest batting average (.389), slugging percentage (.805) and on-base percentage (.465), most games started (215), most at-bats (678), most runs scored (218), most hits (264), most doubles (54), most home runs (70), most runs batted in (198), most total bases (546), and most walks (94).
Her success continued in the NPF as she led the Racers to the league’s championship series in 2017. She holds a career batting average of .289 with a .489 slugging percentage. Robinson has recorded 14 doubles, three triples and 17 home runs in her three pro seasons and in 2017 she finished tied for fifth in the NPF in RBI and seventh in home runs.
How old were you when you started playing softball and why did you stick with it?
“I was five when I started playing tee ball and I played baseball up until I was nine then I switched to softball,” Robinson said. “I played multiple sports when I was younger, basketball, soccer, and volleyball, and soccer and volleyball through my high school years, but I always felt a deeper passion for softball. My older brother, Micah, played baseball and it was something we could connect through and I enjoyed working with him and my dad on my game and just talking shop and striving to get better.”
Learn more about Shellie Robinson:
- Bats: Right
- Throws: Right
- Birthday: April 2
- Nickname: Shell, Shellie Belly, Shell Shell
- Instagram: shellrob3
- Twitter: shellierobinson
- Special Skill (other than softball): I can juggle and I’m really good at sleeping
- Second Favorite Sport: Volleyball to play, baseball to watch
- Favorite Food: I will eat almost anything. If I had to pick a favorite, I would say steak and mashed potatoes.
- Favorite Singer/Group: Garth Brooks
- Favorite Athlete: Derek Jeter
- Last Book She Read: Old School Grit by Darrin Donnelly
- Pregame Ritual: It’s a secret
- Favorite Quote: “He will cover you with His feathers, and under His wings, you will find refuge; His faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.” ~Psalm 91:4